Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Being Brother Bear


It was a good thing I didn't go to Disneyland yesterday. When the 5.8 earthquake hit, I would've been on The Indiana Jones Ride and thought it was all part of the ride. Don't worry, Disneyland is still standing! 
Instead of going to Disneyland, Jenn, her younger cousin Henry, and I went to Downtown Disney.

It was a bit refreshing to be away from the UCLA scene, away from research, as well as away from home to get lost in the outskirts of the Magical Kingdom. But spending a couple hours with Jenn and Henry, I realized how much I missed being a big brother.

When we were at the Disney Store, I saw a stuffed animal of Brother Bear, and I just nearly cried. It reminded me so much of the role I once had, and in a way, it reminds me of a role I will continue to have by being a big brother to others. If you haven't already watched Disney's "Brother Bear," you should be prepared to bring tissues. There's something deep within that movie that often gets to me. Now, I'm not trying to be a male shovenist pig and saying that man's role is a type of guardian, a type that takes care of the people he loves, but that's the way man has been culturally socialized since ancient times. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but "Brother Bear" certainly has these ideas centered within the storyline.

So as it was, Henry drank Coca Cola a little too fast after he ate, and went to the bathroom to throw up. I went in there to check up on him. And then he went back to the stall to throw up again. So I told him that a neat trick to stop throwing up is raising both hands up in the air because the action expands your stomach. He does it the entire time he's in the bathroom, as well as when we walk back to the table. 

And it just reminds me of when I was younger, and when Rode was younger, and how we had a similar experience.

Earlier in the day, we also went to Build A Bear, every kid's favorite store. Henry ended up making a Husky Dog. Well, the experience reminded me a lot
 of my sister's gift to me when I got back from Colorado. Being the most selfless person that she was, she made me a Bear and bought clothes to matched clothes I already have. And when I came back, she surprised me with the Bear, even though it was supposed to be for her. I still have it, and it reminds me of the day.

After my sister's death, Jenn and I made a Cheetah in honor of my sister. I named it "Kimba," because my sister's middle name is "Kim," as well as the fact that it's a play on "Simba" the Lion King. I chose a Cheetah because I remember talking to my sister about what we would do to help Africa (Cheetahs are from Africa). Rode wanted to be a doctor and help people with the body, while I wanted to be a psychologist and help people with the mind. One great team, huh?
When I was at the Build a Bear store, I ended up buying a Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim set for my Cheetah. Not only are the "Halos" a great team, but it also reminds me that there are angels watching over us.

No comments: